This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer for more information.
Caribbean Style Chicken Soup
This is a delicious, savory soup full of Caribbean flavor. It's full of hearty, healthy root vegetables that will keep you happily full for hours. Enjoy on a cold winter evening or anytime you're craving soup.
- 1 pound chicken thighs cut up into stew size pieces may use boneless chicken thighs
- .75 pound beef tripe, cut into small pieces may be omitted
- 8 cups chicken stock, unsalted
- 3 tbsp avocado oil may use any cooking oil
- 2 cups pumpkin, diced
- 2 cups cassava, peeled and rough chopped
- 1 cup caribbean sweet potato, rough chopped
- 1 large half ripe plantain, cut into one inch pieces
- 1 large carrot, cut into one-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 tsp ginger root, grated
- 1 small scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and diced alternatively, you can drop the whole pepper into the soup
- 2 stalks scallion, chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped may be omitted
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp each of black pepper, turmeric, allspice powder to taste
Ingredients for Flour Dumplings
- 1 cup einkorn flour may use all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder may be omitted
- 1 tbsp butter or vegan spread
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water enough to form a soft dough
- Wash, peel and cut all vegetables and aromatics. Set aside.
- Wash chicken and tripe if using and season with salt, pepper, turmeric, and allspice powder.
- Add garlic, ginger, scotch bonnet, scallion and thyme to the meat and use hands to mix well. Set aside to marinate at least one hour.
- Heat avocado oil over medium heat. Add meat and saute for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in all of the root vegetables making sure to blend into the seasoned meat.
- Add chicken stock to the pot and stir well. Make sure you have enough chicken stock to cover the meat and vegetables.
- Simmer soup over low-medium heat for 30 to 40 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
- Stir in chopped cilantro about five minutes before turning off the stove.
Instructions for Flour Dumplings
- Mix flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl.
- Cut in butter or vegan spread into the flour mixture using hands or a fork until fully incorporated into the flour.
- Add enough water to flour mix to form into a soft dough. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into small logs and cut into small pieces.
- Roll dough pieces into small, round dumplings.
- Add dumplings to soup and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until fully cooked through.