This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclaimer for more information.
Saltfish Buljol (stew)
A savory Caribbean breakfast made with salted cod, peppers, onions and other aromatics. It's a protein-packed, delicious way to start your day.
- 1 pound salted dried cod (or salted Alaskan paddock)
- 1/3 cup avocado oil or light olive oil
- 1.5 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 medium onions, diced.
- 3/4 cup diced bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, grated.
- 4 stalks scallions, diced.
- 1.5 teaspoon dried thyme or use fresh sprig
- 1/2 teaspoon diced scotch bonnet orHabanero pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cover salted cod with water in a medium-sized pot. Bring water to a boil and turn off the heat. Let cod soak for one hour.
- Drain water from cod and replace it with fresh water. Bring to a boil again, turn off the heat and let soak for one more hour.
- Drain off water from the cod and use a fork to flake cod into small, bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Next, add thyme and saute for 30 more seconds. Add diced scallions, bell pepper, scallions, and scotch bonnet pepper if using. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add diced tomatoes and saute for 2 more minutes. Add prepared codfish to the skillet with the aromatics, add black pepper and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place 1/2 cup servings on a plate and serve with roasted breadfruit, flatbread, toast or even rice. Enjoy!